This chickpea pasta recipe puts a healthy, innovative flair on the traditional Penne alla Vodka dish. Filled with beautiful, healthy beets, wholesome tomatoes, savory nodes of garlic, and fresh basil, this simple dish is sure to delight any crowd.
- 4 slices bacon, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil if not using bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, chopped
- 2½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ cup vodka
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 boxes (16 ounces) Tolerant® Chickpea Penne
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 12 basil leaves, torn
- ½ cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a large skillet over medium. If using, add bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- If using bacon, add onion to bacon drippings and saute until softened, 6-8 minutes. Alternatively, saute onion in oil. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in tomatoes, broth, vodka, salt, and pepper flakes. Add pasta, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, 8-10 minutes. If needed, add more broth or water as pasta cooks to prevent sticking.
- If using, crumble bacon and stir into pasta along with cream, basil, and Parmesan. Serve topped with parsley.