- 1 box Tolerant Chickpea Penne
- 4 slices bacon, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (if not using bacon)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ cup vodka
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 12 basil leaves, torn
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add onion to bacon drippings and saute until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Alternatively, saute onion in oil.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in tomatoes, broth, vodka, salt, and pepper flakes.
- Add dry Tolerant Chickpea Penne, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender. If needed, add more broth or water as pasta cooks to prevent sticking.
- If using, crumble bacon and stir into pasta along with cream, basil, and parmesan. Serve topped with parsley.