- 1½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into ½” thick rounds
For tomato sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cans (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- Fine sea salt and black pepper 2 boxes (16 ounces) Tolerant Ⓡ Chickpea Rotini To assemble and serve:
- 2 cups grated mozzarella (8 ounces)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- Chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- In a medium bowl mix together breadcrumbs, Parmesan, oregano, and salt. In a second bowl whisk eggs well. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in breadcrumbs and place on baking sheets.
- Bake eggplant until golden and tender, about 25 minutes, flipping slices halfway through baking.
- While eggplant bakes heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add onion and saute until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain well, then mix into tomato sauce.
- Lightly oil a 13 x 9” baking dish. Spread pasta mixture in dish. Top with baked eggplant, mozzarella, and Parmesan.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375℉. Bake eggplant until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Top with basil.